Monday, March 28, 2011

Well, I'm Stuck in Folsom Prison ...

 I'm dealing with a problem.  Anyone who knows me knows that I love my dog.  He is my constant companion.  HOWEVER, he has recently started a bad habit of coming downstairs in the night and peeing on the floor. It's not a nice surprise. 

I asked the vet about it and she told me the only real way to deal with it is to retrain him by crating him at night.  Knowing that he wasn't likely to be happy about that -- he's used to having the run of the house at all times -- I decided to do it now while Kate and Jeff are in Florida.  Kate would be too soft hearted and Jeff would get mad if Sam cried or barked for a prolonged time. 

Did I say prolonged time?  Try ALL NIGHT.  Literally.  He barked ALL NIGHT.  Loudly.  I think he just couldn't believe that he was being crated.  He was perfectly safe and comfortable -- but he was incredulous that I would actually leave him in the crate.  When I came down in the morning, he had utterly destroyed the dog bed I put in with him for his comfort.  But at least he held his bladder until he got outside.  

I hope he'll be adjusted to this new routine by the time Jeff and Kate get back this weekend.  I've got earplugs and a heart of stone.   

Ally and I had a nice time this weekend bargain shopping. We hit Plato"s Closet and got her some boots, some shoes, and several blouses.  We also went to the craft stores and got beading materials.  Ally's gotten into making her own jewelry and she was able to scavenge some of my beading supplies along with the stuff we bought.  I made this necklace with a puau shell centerpiece and some matching earrings.  (Actually, I may redo the beads -- now that I look at it, it looks too much like a rosary!)

After Ally left, I hit Goodwill and picked up a pair of short brown Clark's leather boots that fit me perfectly  for $3.  I also got a perfectly functional Mr. Coffee cappuccino maker for $2.50 and a lovely green LandsEnd spring raincoat for $7.  I love bargains!

Over the weekend, I also finished up the hat I was making with the handspun Finn wool yarn. I wore it all day on Saturday because the weather was so cold. 


2 comments:

Lilac Haven said...

We take Daisy out just before we go to bed so she doesn't have to go during the night. This was actually her idea as she stood by the door before bed until we let her out and then we just started doing it on a nightly basis. You might try that with your dog-make him go out and pee and then give him a treat. It will take about a week but it beats the barking and stress on him from kenneling.

Somerhill said...

Very cute hat - can you point me to the pattern