Tuesday, March 8, 2011

I Can Stop Anytime I Want

I've got a new addiction and it's getting to be a problem. I've discovered Ancestry.com . No, seriously, don't click that button. It will suck away at least a week of your life.

It's so easy. You just build your family tree with the information you have and click on links to learn more ... and more ... and more. I found this picture of my great, great grandfather, Jack Calloway Pennington (1831 - 1918). I get my name, Penny, from the Pennington side of the family. I learned that one of my ancestors on my father's side, Enoch Parker, fought in the 34th infantry regiment, Company H, on the confederate side of the Civil War. Unbelievably, one of my ancestors, John Flood (or Fludd) may have been part of the Jamestown colony in the 1600s. And -- I'm not sure this can be believed and I'd like to see more documentation -- I've traced one branch of my mother's ancestors all the way back to Germany in the 1100s. Way COOL!



Speaking of family, I had to get my blood drawn this morning and I sat in the waiting room with the nicest young man. He was waiting for his wife, who was having some pregnancy-related testing done. The baby is due in June and will join a three year old brother. Every year he and his extended family go down to Destin together -- this year they're going in July, after the new baby is born. He takes his grandparents too and they just sit on the porch all day and enjoy the weather. He was pleasure to talk to and seemed like just a lovely family centered guy. With a new baby on the way, he and his wife are just starting the adventure that Jeff and I are rapidly seeing come to an end. God bless him and the coming baby!

No comments: