Wednesday, March 30, 2011

$2.50 Well Spent

It actually works!  I got a cappuccino maker at Goodwill on Saturday for $2.50 and brought it home fully expecting it to be non-functional, or at least missing some vital part.  But it works!  I bought some espresso coffee yesterday and tried it out this morning.  It makes espresso and it steams the milk -- voila, cappucchino. 

Of course, it was pretty comical to see me steaming the milk.  The machine shoots a jet of steam and you're supposed to keep the nozzle under the surface of the milk so it heats the milk and makes it foam.  In my case, it wasn't exactly foam -- more like a tsunami all over the kitchen counter.  But it DID work.  I added a little sugar free caramel coffee syrup and had a masterpiece. 

I'm working upstairs today because there's no one here to care where I work ... but I may creep back down to my lair.  It's too depressing.  I just looked out the window and it's SNOWING.  Geez.  Will this winter never end? 

I finally started a new book last night.  I've given up on the 14 book series by Robert Jordan, The Wheel of Time.  I finished book 6 and called it quits ... at least for the time being.  Jordan was getting on my nerves with his overuse of the same phrases and slow pacing.  In some ways, after 6 books, I'm invested in the characters and fantasy world -- if I could only find a synopsis that tells me what happens, that would be great. 

Anyway, I started a new book last night.  I didn't realize until last night that Jean Auel had completed the last book in the Clan of the Cave Bear series, The Land of Painted Caves.  So, I downloaded it from Audible and listened to some of it last night.  It seems pretty consistent with the rest of the series so far.  The heroine, Ayla, possesses qualities far superior to anyone around her yet she is shy and self-effacing.  If you can get over the fact that Ayla is more beautiful and smarter and more athletic and better at everything than anyone else, then the book is fun for its portrayal of what life might have been like for our caveman ancestors. 

I put Black Heels to Tractor Wheels on my wish list, but I'd like to read the blog for a while first.  I took a look last night and there's some beautiful photography on the site.  Annette should submit some of her stuff for the contests. 

No comments: