Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Land of 1000 Boxes

Today's good thing is bittersweet. Last weekend, my sister Kathryn and I spent the entire weekend going through Mom's stuff and packing it up for charity. In addition to the clothes, Dad wanted a lot of the clutter and pictures removed. He can't look at the stuff without getting upset.

So, Kathryn and I did our best to set everything to rights. We gathered six huge garbage bags of clothes and several boxes of knick-knacks and costume jewelry for him to donate. In addition to the garbage bags of clothes, though, I was able to pick out six boxes of Mom's clothes that should fit me over the spring and summer. Mom was a couple of sizes smaller than me, so as I lose weight I should fit into her things. I think she'd be happy that I'll be able to use some of her things before I, too, pass them on to charity.

Kathryn and I also selected a lot of stuff to save. Probably too much. We picked little things that meant something to us as well as things we just liked and wanted to keep. We divided up the last of the sterling silver place settings -- of course, Kathryn got all the best pieces! :) We tried to pick out some keepsakes for our children and for Amy and Frank, who couldn't be there.

Anyway, my car is full to the brim with memories. Who knows when I'll have the time and energy to unload it and find places for all the stuff!

No comments: