Tuesday, March 29, 2011

It's a Balancing Act

Today's not going so well, so I'm going to make it a game.  For every bad thing I list, I'm going to try to come up with a good thing.  First, the bad:
  1. When I came downstairs this morning, Sam had gotten into the trash and spread it all over the kitchen floor ... something he's only done a couple of times in 10 years.
  2. When I bent over slightly to put down my protein shake, my back suddenly seized up and I'm in acute pain on my lower left side. 
  3. The sump pump is making a sucking noise every 20 seconds -- I think the switch is stuck in the "on" position, but I can't get it to turn off, no matter how I jiggle it.  If it doesn't stop soon, the pump will break and the basement will flood. 
Now the good:
  1. This -- by itself -- is enough to make up for the bad stuff.  When I went out to take the garbage to the curb, I found a package for me that must have been delivered yesterday.  It was a birthday gift from my friend Julie in NC.  Julie and I have been friends since we were toddlers and she was very fond of my mother.  In fact, my sister and I call her "the good daughter."  Julie made me a gorgeous mobius wrap in all my favorite jewel toned colors.  In her letter, she said she used some yarns that Mom and I had given her and some yarns that she had used to make gifts for my Mom.  It was a real work of love and I love it.  She said she thought I needed a virtual hug because it's been a tough year. 
  2. Another good thing is that -- even though I relented and didn't kennel Sam last night -- I didn't find any puddles this morning.  Just the trash all over the floor. 
  3. A hot pad and ibuprophen are making my back feel better.
I'll try to focus on the good and make this a good day.

Jeff and Kate are having a wonderful time at Disney World.  Jeff called me from the Japanese pavilion at Epcot yesterday.  They're headed to the beach today in 90 degree weather. 

1 comment:

Lilac Haven said...

probably not helping that the fam is at Disney and you are stuck working...