Friday, April 29, 2011

Outside In

Okay, I admit it.  I'm watching the Royal Wedding this morning.  It's a spectacle.  And, I must say, from my personal and close knowledge of the royal couple, :), they seem well suited.  Poor Diana seemed like a child playing out a fairy tale, but Kate seems to know exactly what she's up against.  I wouldn't wish their life on my worst enemy ... but, I have to admit, it's fascinating to watch.  We're all voyeurs today.

The two highlights in my opinion were the gorgeous wedding dress -- perfectly modest but with a hint of sexuality and sophistication.  Barbara Walters just agreed with what I said when I first saw it.  It reminds you of something Grace Kelly would have worn.  Second, I LOVE the huge trees inside Westminster Abbey.  What a stunning effect!  Only royalty could afford it, but it brings the outdoors and nature into the old stone building.  It's simple, but breathtaking. 

I've been bringing a little bit of nature into my own surroundings.  The bleeding heart has started to bloom so I cut a bit and brought it in.  I don't know if it will last as a cut flower, but I'm giving it a try.  I'm more likely to enjoy it sitting on my desk for 8 hours than in the garden if it lives for a week.  My african violet is also lending a cheery touch.  There's a new blossom that just opened up yesterday. 

Today's good thing is black-stemmed peppermint.  Mine kept dying in a pot so I imprudently just planted it in the herb garden.  It's going nuts!  But I don't really mind its invasive ways -- I really love the scent of peppermint.  Well, not just any peppermint, but black stemmed peppermint.  Mom always grew spearmint and I hate that stuff.  This morning I cut some apple branches for the bunnies to munch and plucked some peppermint to sniff while I work. 

No comments: