Monday, May 2, 2011

Capability Brown, I Need You

Never let it be said that once I have the bit in my teeth I don't go all out!  I liked having the plant light and african violet on my desk so much that I've created an entire garden down here in the basement. 

I went to the Cincinnati African Violet Show & Sale on Saturday and hung around talking to the club members for about two hours.  I ended up buying nine new plants!  So, from none I went to four and now thirteen!  I put a plant lightbulb in an old desk lamp and bought a broken fluorescent desk lamp for $3 at Goodwill and fixed it.  I put them on an old timer and, voila, indoor garden. 

I love this red one.  It's called "Saturn." 

I got five miniature african violets.  Some of these will never get any bigger and some are just young plants.  I'm not really sure which are which without looking them up.  I guess time will tell ... if I can keep them alive.

The ladies at the club assured me that growing them in the basement was perfectly fine and that most of the club members grow their violets under artificial lights.  Who knew?

I've had a lot of fun this weekend researching the different types, repotting them and admiring them.

The wire rack for stash yarn was finally repaired and I reorganized and replaced the yarn.  The rest of Wool & Bull is a disaster -- hence, no pictures of that.  Just look at those neat racks and imagine that the rest of my workspace -- indeed, my whole house -- is that tidy. 

2 comments:

Lilac Haven said...

How nice. I have never been able to get an African violet to live. I love going to the orchid show at the Franklin Park conservancy. I suppose the AV show is similar. Tempting flowers everywhere.

WoolyWorm said...

The Franklin Park Conservancy is where the Columbus African Violet Society holds their show and sale. I missed that one, so I went to the Cincinnati one. And, it remains to be seen whether I can keep these babies alive. Hope for the best!