Friday, April 1, 2011

'Cause It's My Birthday (almost)

Today's good things are birthday surprises.  My birthday isn't until next week and I've already had two lovely and thoughtful surprises.  The first one was the beautiful moebius wrap that Julie sent me.  I've since learned that the pattern is called Omega.  I've worn it almost continuously since I got it! 

The second surprise arrived when I went to lunch with Lynne yesterday.  She presented me with such a great gift!  It was a skein of Hand Maiden's Swiss Mountain Sea Sock yarn in an exclusive colorway called Scottish Thistle. The colors are purple and green and gray.  Lynne brought it all the way home from Nova Scotia for me.

I can't even begin to tell you how perfect this yarn is. It's 51% silk, 29% superwash merino, and 20% sea cell.  It feels cool and soft to the touch and has a definite sheen. It's so drool-worthy!

To top it all off, Lynne packaged it in a unique gift bag that she got from Isolde Teague's shop in Edinburgh.  I'm really reaping the benefits of Lynne's travels!  The bag is made from an Indian newspaper and Lynne says that when she got it she was stopped by an Indian man who told her that he was from the place where the newspaper was printed and called his friends over to look.  How cool! 

Back to the yarn.  I haven't decided definitely, but I'm leaning toward using it to knit some socks called Mizar from Anna Zilboorg's book Socks for Sandals and Clogs. I wear clogs a lot and this pattern has a very intricate pattern on the heel that would show beautifully in clogs. For now, though, I'm just petting the yarn and enjoying it in it's skein form. 

I worked around the lack of a camera battery by making a short film with my Flip video.  It's kind of lame, so don't bother to look at it if you don't want to see yarn. 
   

1 comment:

Lilac Haven said...

That sock yarn looks yummy. Do I have to use it for socks?