Monday, April 25, 2011

A Blessed Easter

On Saturday, we drove down to Harrodsburg Kentucky to spend the night at Beaumont Inn, a beautiful antebellum hotel that Jeff has been visiting since he was about 4 years old.  In fact, he grew up with the current owner who inherited it from his father, who inherited it from his father -- you get the picture.  It's always a treat to stay there because Chuck and Helen Dedman know us and have watched our children grow up (and we've watched theirs).  It's almost a home coming to be there.

Beaumont Inn Lobby
They gave us room 8, one of their nicest rooms and the room we spent the first night of our honeymoon in.  We don't always get that room, but it's fun when we do. 

We got together with Ally over at Danville and Kate put her air mattress in Ally's room so they could have a sleepover.  My back was still hurting, so I blew off the play and went to bed early with a full tablet of back medicine.  In the night there were sirens and tornado warnings, but I dozed through most of it.   

Miraculously, in the morning my back pain was almost entirely gone.  It was surely some kind of muscle spasm.  All that was left was a dull achy feeling that was entirely bearable.  I'm SO glad Larry gave me those muscle relaxers.  Maybe next time I can nip it in the bud. 

Ally and Kate seemed to have had a good time at Ally's dorm. They were called out of bed in the middle of the night for the tornado warning and sent to the basement in their pajamas -- which mortified Kate because she didn't know it was a coed dorm and college boys saw her in her pajamas!


We got up and went to mass at St. Andrews in Harrodsburg where they had the most adorable priest.  He was really a hoot and Kate says she may attend church there next year when she's at Centre.  He called kids up out of the congregation and had them look inside plastic easter eggs -- first, one full of hay to represent the nativity, then one full of nails to represent the crucifixion, and the last one was empty to represent the empty tomb.  Then, he admitted a fondness for dousing people with holy water and proceeded to soak most of us.  Seriously, he was flinging holy water with wild abandon and then he said "I think I've got it out of my system now."  The ushers had to come with towels and dry off the aisles.  It was fun and you don't often say that about mass.

After mass, we went to the huge Easter brunch at Beaumont Inn.  That was the only sort of sour spot for me.  I got little dibs and dabs of things but the only thing that really seemed to set well with me was some turkey and gravy.  I was afraid of their delicious fried chicken that I love.  I did eat about a inch square of country ham and a spoonful of corn pudding and a couple of bites of cheese grits.  So, I guess I didn't miss out entirely on the feast. 

I'm not exactly svelte, but getting better
It was great for the whole family to be together again.   

1 comment:

Brandi said...

Happy Easter! Looks like you had a wonderful time with your family. Honestly it brought a tear to my eye thanks for sharing that.