Friday, April 15, 2011

Drama

Today didn't start out too well.  Sam made another puddle despite the diaper of shame.  I'm beginning to think he has a medical issue. 

I'm also still upset about all the drama that's been going on around here for the past 24 hours.  Kate bought a vintage wedding dress three years ago and has been planning to wear it at her graduation.  At her school, all the girls wear white long dresses (actually wedding dresses), picture frame hats, gloves and carry a dozen red roses to graduate.  The boys wear a tux with tails, top hats, gloves and carry canes.  It's quite a spectacle. 

Well, there has been some controversy about Kate's dress.  The rule is that the dress must be white -- NOT ecru, cream, candlelight, etc.  It must be stark white.  And it must have sleeves.  As a vintage dress, we were worried that it wasn't quite white enough -- so we decided to blue it to make it whiter.  When it came out of the bluing solution, a significant part of the lace had disintegrated. 

When she tried it on yesterday, it was clear that this dress was not going to pass muster -- especially since the principal has just sent out a memo that no used or vintage dresses would be allowed.  She could never sneak it past as new with holes in it.  Kate was devastated and I felt horrible.  We took it to a tailor to see if it could be repaired, but we were told it was beyond all help. 

So, off we went yesterday to the bridal salons.  We were lucky and almost immediately found a pretty dress that Kate likes and looks good in -- but it was $580.  And on top of that we'll need to pay for alterations (hemming and sleeves added), hat, gloves, and shoes.  This private school crap is EXPENSIVE.  When Ally graduated, we picked out a nice gown from a consignment store and she looked lovely.

Overall, Kate has been very mature about the whole thing.  Of course, there were tears. She was crushed by the loss of her vintage dress -- which had been created by an exclusive Beverly Hills designer in the 50s -- but she acknowledged that I was only trying to help and didn't blame me for the disaster.  She seems okay with her substitute dress, even though it's not what she had envisioned.  

I feel like I've been through a wringer.  I can't seem to get anything accomplished today.  I'm still a mess. 

This morning I was feeling so crappy that I decided to take the morning off and drove my large size pants to the local Goodwill.  I stayed for a little retail therapy and found a cute cookie mold in the shape of a sheep and a couple of other things.  The drive through the spring sunshine made me feel better. 


2 comments:

Lilac Haven said...

Wow. I've never heard of such a thing for graduation but the girls do look lovely. Everything is so expensive these days. Glad you found a dress. Sorry about Sam. Wonder what's wrong. It does sound like a medical rather than behavior issue.

Brandi said...

HOLY CRAP!!! I'm kinda shocked that they would go to so much trouble for graduation. How do you top that for the girls wedding then? Anyway I hope there is nothing seriously wrong with your Sam.