Thursday, April 28, 2011

Sweet Satisfaction

Today's good thing is that small feeling of satisfaction you have when you get towards the end of a row of complicated knitting and there are exactly the right number of stitches left to finish the row.  You know you did it right. 

So many things in life don't give you that immediate feedback.  Raising children springs to mind.  It takes years and years and you never know for sure how well you've done.  You just try to do your best.  Knitting a sock, however, lets you know right away that you're doing it correctly.  And, unlike children, if it goes awry you can pull it all out and start over.  (Not that I'd want to do that to my children ... MY children are perfect.)

I've pulled it out and started over several times on this Mizar sock, but I'm finally getting the hang of it.  I've read several places that people consider this a very complicated pattern -- and I believe them.  But it's very beautiful and I think it will be worth it.  I turned the heel a few days ago and I'm almost done with the gusset. 

In other news, the Wool & Bull studio is getting an overhaul.  The wire racks where I keep the yarn stash came apart yesterday while I was trying to tidy the wool, so I had to remove everything and reassemble them.  I've got yarn piled everywhere. It's given me a chance to find some forgotten skeins and reevaluate just how much worsted wool I need.  I think a de-stashing is in order. 

1 comment:

Brandi Schoch said...

Love your sock I think I would have to start over a few times too. My fiber studio has yet to start so I'm a bit envious.