Saturday, April 2, 2011

Thiftstore Madness

You would think that with my family gone and the house all to myself that I would be tremendously productive.  Not so much ...  I've been completely useless.  With no schedule and no one depending on me to do anything, I've been goofing off in a major way. 

All I've been doing is hitting every thrift shop in town and shopping for bargains.  I don't know what's gotten into me.  It's like a fever.  (Maybe I need more cowbell?)  Since I'm losing weight, I don't want to spend a lot on clothes I'll hopefully discard, so I picked up 5 summer tops for $5 at a sale at Goodwill. 

The fever really bit though when I bought some dessert plates one day.  I'm eating smaller meals, so dessert/salad plates made sense to me.  I really liked the patterns:  Mikasa Villa Medici and Farberware Dorchester.  So, when I got them home I looked them up on eBay to see if I could get some more.  Cripes!  They were selling for WAY more than I paid for them.  I got mine for $0.50 apiece.  The Mikasa Villa Medici salad plates were selling for $15.95 each.  Rather than get more, I'm thinking I should sell MINE.

Lightbulb moment.  What if I learn about china and scour the thrift shops, having fun, and make some money too?  That would be so cool.  I decided to only buy things that I like -- just in case they don't sell -- and only buy things that are good quality.  So, yesterday I bought a small wedgewood bowl, two Toille patterned dessert plates, a Franciscan divided serving bowl and a set of Lenox bunny rabbit salt & pepper shakers.  All for about $14. 

The Lenox bunny rabbits are adorable.  I wish I could get a better picture with my phone.  I got them for $6 and on eBay they're selling for $50.  Of course, I love them so much I wouldn't want to sell them.

Am I totally crazy or would that be a fun hobby/money making venture?  It certainly seems to out-perform the stock market on return for your investment. 

1 comment:

Brandi said...

All I have to say on that is have fun and enjoy I know I would(I'd kill for a flea market near me).