Friday, February 18, 2011

Spring is Coming

Today's good thing is evidence that spring is actually coming. These are little shoots of daffodils poking their way up in my garden (and, yes, Annette, that is a little piece of rabbit poo to the right of the shot -- as you know, it's good fertilizer.)



It's been a rough six months and I, for one, will be very glad to put this season behind me and move on to a new chapter. On September 25th, my dear mother died. It was peaceful and not unexpected, but I'm not sure I've really had a chance to mourn yet. It hasn't sunk in. As my sister said, we just sort of pretend that she's still there in Lexington a phone call away. Here is a photo board from her funeral that shows her having fun in her later years.



Some of the most touching things from the funeral were these blown up pictures. The top one is of Mom taken on her honeymoon and the bottom is a note that was found behind it in Daddy's wallet. The note reads "I owe you 1,000,000,000 kisses. To be collected on June 20 and after." June 20th was their wedding day. Daddy carried that picture and note in his wallet for 57 years.

Of course, I'll never forget and I wouldn't want to. I want to move on though and rejoice in new life.




In December, I had surgery and was very sick for about six weeks. I'm ready to put that behind me too. Things are pretty much back on an even keel. I'm back at work full time and we've all returned to our normal routines. I DO want to forget about those six weeks and go on with my life.

So, here's to spring. Let it come.

No comments: