Wednesday, February 16, 2011

A Love Story

I'm two days late for Valentine's Day, but today's good thing is a love story. It begins in February of 1984 when Jeff took me to the Maisonette for dinner and presented me with a diamond engagement ring. The diamond had been in his family for two generations. Everyone at law school had to see it and exclaim over it.



Fast forward 24 years. Due to my weight, my wedding rings were too tight and mostly sat on the ring stand on my dresser. Then they were gone. I looked EVERYWHERE. I was afraid to say anything to Jeff until I had searched high and low. Then I was just afraid and ashamed. After all, this was a diamond that had been passed down to his mother from her beloved uncle and the wedding band that I was married with.



Finally, almost a year later, I admitted to Jeff that I had lost my engagement ring and wedding band ...



And he forgave me. In fact, he understood completely and never said a word of recrimination. Our 25th anniversary was coming up, so he said that we would just replace them for the occassion. We used his mother's engagement ring diamond and I got to choose the setting and we had the jewelers make up this diamond wedding band for us.



Every time I look at this ring (which I wear ALL the time), it reminds me of his love ... more even than the first one ... because this ring also symbolizes 25 years of living together and the ability to accept and forgive.



A few minutes ago, Jeff called to tell me that he made a mistake and that my credit card bill payment is one day late. I told him I'd take care of it today. As he rang off, he asked -- obviously embarassed about goofing up -- "Do you still love me?" What do you think I said?



On a less romantic note, I'm making progress on the Potomatus sock. I turned the heel (twice -- I had to pull it out once) and I'm doing the gusset now. The Woolmeise sock yarn is less luxurious than I expected for the price and it continues to be a little "splitty." I think my favorite is still Casbah.

1 comment:

Lilac Haven said...

Nice. Those rings will eventually turn up. I once lost one and found it in my shorts pocket the following summer when I got my clothes out of storage. I must have put it in there when I was washing my hands or something. It's heartbreaking to lose family jewelry.