Monday, February 14, 2011

Fifty-seven Degrees

The weather is finally getting warmer, the snow is melting, and yesterday was a delightful 57 degrees around here. I took Sunday afternoon to look after the rabbits and put them back in their outside hutches. Genny was in pretty good shape. Her fur is so silky and gorgeous. I think she was happy to be back outside and out of the smelly garage.





Andy, on the other hand, was a mess. For some reason over the past 6 months or so, he's become very prone to matting. He used to be the easy one to keep tidy. I gave him some Ivermectin (insect killer) because I suspect the root of the problem is mites. Also, I think he's ready for shedding -- or was some time ago -- and the hair didn't fall off, it just matted in. I spent a significant part of Sunday afternoon in front of the garage brushing and brushing and working out mats. Poor boy! He's still not completely mat free, but he's a lot better -- although in some places he's bald now.





I got a gallon bag of Andy hair from my brushings. It's cram packed. It's hardly prime fur, but I may do something with it. The bag underneath is the little bit I got from Genny -- see how much darker her fur is.





When I got done with Andy and went around back to put him in his hutch, Sam got up to some mischief. He figured out how to push his way into Genny's cage -- but when the door fell shut behind him, he couldn't get out! This is how I found him when I came back around the house to the garage.

2 comments:

Lilac Haven said...

You could mix Andy's non prime and Genny's prime (for length)and spin it. I bet it would be beautiful with those two colors together.

Lynne said...

Poor Sammy! Such a sweetie.