Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Of Reeds and Oaks

I've been puzzling something out over the past couple of days that my sister has brought to my attention a couple of times.  We Parkers are missing a key factor in our interpersonal relationships.  We don't win arguments.  We bend.  And we can't manipulate worth a damn.

 
We're not stupid.  At least, I don't think we're stupid.  We three Parker children have a medical degree, a law degree and a PhD. in Biochemistry.  Yet, when nut comes to crack -- we are the reed that bends in the wind and not the mighty oak.

For example, all of us were raised Methodist in a very church-centered household.  Yet, when we married, each of us adopted the faith of our spouse.  Kathyrn became Baptist, Frank became Presbyterian, and I converted to Catholicism.  Why did NONE of the switches go the other way?  In my case, Jeff simply refused to change and I followed him so the family wouldn't be split. It didn't matter as much to me.  I figured I could worship God in any church.

The other prime example is that Kathryn and I both had our tubes tied and Frank had a vasectomy. Why is it that the Parker component is always the one to make the sacrifice?  Again, in my case, Jeff -- as a cradle Catholic -- was against the whole idea and certainly wasn't going to get a vasectomy himself.  And I didn't want a Downs syndrome child at 45, so I took responsibility.  In this case, I did have a conviction and I bucked Jeff's beliefs to get my way -- but I didn't persuade him. 

I can't say if this personality quirk is positive or negative -- or, more probably neutral -- but it exists and it exists wholly apart from intelligence.  Is it a lack of conviction?  A lack of persuasiveness?  A "peace at any price" mentality?  A generous spirit?  I can't figure it out.    But it would seem to be an evolutionary disadvantage to be unable to persuade others to your viewpoint on important issues ...  just sayin'. 

For comic relief, I'm adding some video that Ally took of Andy, Genny and Sam yesterday.  First, here are Sam and Andy.  Andy is happily hopping around the exercise pen just as healthy as can be after our recent scare.  I cut a branch from the apple tree a couple of days ago and put it in there for the bunnies to nibble. 


Here's Genny, being boring.  She just wants to sit.  Honestly, that rabbit is so plump!  She's a real handful when you pick her up, while Andy seems delicate and light by comparison.  When I trimmed her for summer, her fur is all funny looking and mottled.  It must all be at different stages of growth.




No comments: