Monday, June 20, 2011

The Sound of Thunder

Wet Backyard
It's a wet, wet, rainy day.  This morning I woke up about 7:30 and there was a thunderstorm rolling through, so I rolled over and slept until 9:30. When I finally got up and got dressed, another storm was approaching and I decided to wait it out before heading to the gym.  So, I sat quietly in the dark with my eyes closed and listened to the storm -- half-meditating and half just experiencing the thunder.  It was a very pleasant 20 minutes. 

For Sam, not so much.  Dogs are great in that they live entirely in the moment.  Most of the time, that's a good thing.  But when it's thundering, that also means that Sam can't distract himself by thinking of other things.  The storm is there in the moment with him.  He decided the safest place was just under my chair, so he squeezed in there and waited for the thunder to fade. 

Yesterday, while Jeff was taking a Father's Day snooze, I finally plied some corriedale I've had on my spinning wheel for months.  It's in three shades of green from light to medium to dark and I navaho plied the singles to keep the colors separate.  When I knit it up, it should start out one color, change to the next and then end with the last.  I'm thinking maybe a hat ....

My summer mystery shawl is also proceeding slowly but surely.  This is a pattern that Wendy Johnson put on her blog as a mystery knit along.  I don't usually knit shawls because I seldom wear them, but this sounded like fun and I had a skein of fingering yarn just perfect for the project.  Of course, unlike Wendy, I'm plodding along at it.  I don't know how she manages to turn out a shawl every couple of days.  The woman's insane.  The knit along was over a couple of weeks ago and I'm still on part three of four.  I guess the advantage to that is that I get to see everyone else's finished results and so I know what the "mystery" shawl will look like.