Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Failure & New Beginnings

This afternoon I threw in the towel on the Summer Mystery Shawlette.   I took a good look at it last night and realized that somewhere -- about 20 rows ago -- I made a mistake that skewed the center of the shawl off center.  You can actually see it in the most recent picture I posted.  The center stripe is off center by about 12 stitches.  I tried to rip it back and start again, but it was too confusing.  I know when I'm licked. 

Just for the record, this is a difficult pattern to follow.  Wendy, who made it up, knits shawls all the time and seems to use a sort of "short hand" for things that she takes for granted.  The chart required you to knit a portion, then knit a section multiple times, then knit to the end, knit one, go to the beginning again, knit a portion, knit a section multiple times and then the end section again -- all for one row.  I just found it too confusing. 

I think I'll try a beaded scarf pattern I saw at Knitty.com for this yarn. It's called the Kernel Scarf and looks a lot more straight-forward than that stupid mystery shawlette.  

In other news, last spring Jeff told Kate that as a graduation present she could choose a destination for a Daddy/Daughter trip. She chose Japan and Korea!  Jeff just bought the tickets yesterday and they're leaving on Sunday for two weeks.  Kate's been learning Korean for weeks and they're planning to meet a friend of hers who lives in Seoul there.  It should be an adventure to remember.

1 comment:

Lilac Haven said...

If you can't knit it - it must be the pattern from hell...