Saturday, June 4, 2011

Quick Update From France

I just have a few minutes, but I wanted to record some highlights.  I arrived in Strasbourg on Thursday afternoon and Ally and I went to see the cathedral -- almost everything was closed because it was a national holiday. 

Yesterday, Friday, we picked up a rental car and drove to Surbourg, the place Jeff's ancestors came from hundreds of years ago.  The town is mostly new and the only place we could identify that might have dated from the time of Jeff's people was the church of St. Arbogast, parts of which date back to the 1600s. 

After Surbourg, we drove on to Saverne and went hiking in the nearby mountains.  We found a little grotto dedicated to Saint Vit (?) and it was lovely.  I was proud of myself for traversing the steep stone steps down the mountainside to the grotto -- a year ago, I couldn't have done it. 

We ended up with a fantastic dinner at a restaurant in the center of Saverne.  I had a chicken pot pie to die for and Ally had some lamb. 

We had a great day -- time for another one!  Here are some pictures:

My rather austere but clean and cheap hotel room

St. Arbogast church in Surbourg

Strasbourg

Inside St. Arbogast Church

Ally hiking in the mountains

Me sitting in the grotto

The steps leading down to the grotto

View of Saverne from up on the mountain

At the restaurant in Saverne

The restaurant in Saverne -- we ate al fresco

A statue of Mary in the grotto

No comments: