Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Storms and Calm

Jolly Orchid
Things have settled down around here and all is well.  Jeff had a huge temper tantrum last night and everyone was upset, but he has calmed down and we've talked out some of our family differences. 

The combination of the pain of the shingles, not sleeping well, overstress at work, and having teenage daughters all came to a head.  And it certainly sparked some lively conversation.  I'm afraid, however, that he doesn't fully appreciate how things he says in anger can cause wounds that aren't healed by a simple "I'm sorry," or even "I didn't mean it."  I have 54 years of maturity and over 30 years with him, but teenage girls are more fragile. It may be a long time before this temper tantrum is truly forgotten. Everyone in the world is broken in some way and we all have to figure out how to live together anyway. 

Today's good things are goldfinches.  I saw one dart in front of the car on my way home from the gym this morning.  It was just a flash of yellow and gone, but it was startlingly bright. 

My indoor garden is going well.  The Jolly Orchid miniature african violets are in riotous bloom and there are a lot of buds too.  It's nice to have a touch of nature down here in the damn-p basement. 

No comments: