Friday, January 14, 2011

The Rollercoaster

I'm back down again this morning. I feel tired and depressed and my stomach is queasy. I choked down a protein shake and now I'm going to start on some yogurt.

A structural question for this blog has arisen. Should I record only good things that everyone experiences from time to time or include special blessings particular to me?

For example, last night I finally rousted myself out to attend a meeting of fellow spinners that I have been invited to join for at least 6 months. One of the members owns a coffee shop and she opened it up after hours for us. I was able to sit and spin some green corriedale that I traded on Ravelry to get. As with most gatherings of this type, conversation was open and general, but in the course of the evening I learned that two of the six people there were struggling with horrible painful Rheumatoid arthritis -- and had for years. Yet, there they were with their wheels, living their lives and enjoying an evening with their favorite hobby. From looking at them, you would never know that they had challenges in their lives.

On the one hand, I feel blessed that I haven't had to face a physical challenge like that. On the other, I feel petty that I almost didn't make the meeting because "I wasn't feeling up to it." And, truth be told, on the VERY petty side, I feel bad because I wanted to enjoy an evening out with fellow spinners and to laugh and tell stories -- not spend two hours discussing medical problems and pain.

So, I guess today's good thing is that no matter how bad you think you have it, someone else has it worse. Somehow, that's not very uplifting. Courage.

No comments: