Saturday, January 22, 2011

More Power




Today's good thing is a MAPP torch. I use one to clean the bunny cages -- it burns off all the hair that gets caught on the wires. Today, however, it was useful to free the bunny cage that had been sitting outside of about an inch and a half of ice.




Last night it got down to zero, and I decided to bring the bunnies in from their outdoor hutches to their indoor cages in the garage. Unfortunately, when I cleaned their indoor cages, I left them outside. One of them was fine, but the other one's tray had filled with water, which was frozen into a solid block of ice. So, for the night, I gave Genevieve the ice-free cage and put Andy in a dog kennel with a lot of hay.




This morning, in the light, I examined the frozen cage and figured out the problem. The ice had completely encased the bottom wires of the cage. So -- out came my trusty torch. More POWER! I melted the ice off the cage enough to free up the tray and then was able to dump it and fix it up for Andy.




So now the two bunnies are relatively snug in the garage with a space heater on them. Even so, Genny's water bottle froze last night. I'm glad I got them in. It looks like they'll be garage rabbits for about a week or so.




On the knitting front, I finished the first of my Irish Moss socks from the fabulous Casbah yarn that Lynne gave me. It turned out large for some reason, but it feels good on and seems to fit my foot. I think I made the leg part a little too long -- I was enjoying the knitting so much I just didn't want to stop. The only problem may be that I won't have quite enough yarn to make the second sock. I've got some left over Casbah in another color though and, if worse comes to worse, I can always make the toe in that.

No comments: