Monday, January 24, 2011

I've Got the Music in Me

Today's good thing is music. I know that's a broad category, so I'll explain. A few years ago, Jeff and I and Ally and Kate volunteered to be in the St. Pius X choir. Little did we know that we practically volunteered to BE the choir. The 11:30 service that we attend doesn't have a full blown choir and usually there are just between 6 and 8 of us up there leading the singing. It was really special to me that our whole family did this together. Now that Ally's at college, it's just the three of us.

Yesterday, there were only five of us -- Kate, Jeff, and me and two others. Kate sang two solos and Jeff and I sang a duet on the "Lamb of God." One of our former priests used to say that "He who sings, prays twice," and sometimes it feels like that.

We did "Surely the Presence" for the meditation song and, afterward, I talked with Rita Kirkwood, who lost her husband of 59 years last week. She said that it was one of her favorite songs and that she felt a special blessing that we sang it.

It made me feel good to be able to contribute in a small way to the worship service.

No comments: