Monday, May 16, 2011

Editing Life

Today's good thing is knowing how to fix things.  Things go wrong.  It's inevitable.  But there's a sense of satisfaction in being able to correct a problem, fix a mistake or repair something that's broken. 

Over the weekend I had occasion to fix several things. Kate was helping me find something in the mess on my dresser and accidently knocked my new bunny and lamb Swarovski figurines to the floor.  Both of them lost an ear.  She was upset about it and afraid that I'd be mad, but accidents happen.  With a little clear-drying glue, I was able to glue the ears back on and no one but Kate and I will ever know the difference.   

In another incident, Sam was jumping up on the laundry room door and got his foot caught in a necklace that Kate had hung on a doorknob there.  The string broke, spilling colored beads everywhere.  It wouldn't have been worth saving except that it was necklace of my Mother's that Kate had adopted and she loved it.  So, I sat down last night and restrung it.  Now it's good as new -- maybe better because I put it on stronger beading wire.

Similarly, I've had to unknit rows and rows of the second Mizar sock that I'm working on.  But I have the joy of seeing the perfect pattern unfolding at last. 

This morning, I noticed that one of my african violets is looking sort of puny.  I investigated and I think it's suffering from damp feet as a result of being in a pot too big for it.  I repotted it into a smaller pot and I think it'll do fine. 

So -- things don't always go right, but there is satisfaction in correcting the damage.   

1 comment:

Brandi Schoch said...

If everything went right all the time we would be incredibley bored and not have the capacity to overcome problems. Most innovation comes about from problem solving.