Thursday, May 12, 2011

Home Sweet Home

I'm back from my business trip to lovely Dayton, Ohio and I need to get back on track. 

My weight loss has plateaued tantalizingly just above the 200 mark -- I would give anything to be in the 100s again, but no matter what I do the scale just seems to be stuck and that's depressing me.  Sixty-five pounds is a lot, but in my case it's not enough.  I don't expect to get model thin, but I was told to expect a 100 pound drop.  And, by God, that's what I want.  I'm just one size above being able to shop in the "normal" Ladies department rather than the Women's department (read Plus Size) and I really want that. 

Mother's Day was sort of a drag too.  As Monk would say, "It's a blessing and a curse."  My family was super nice to me and I certainly can't complain there.  But I missed my Mom.  One of my friends -- actually a person I wasn't sure was my friend any more -- thought of that and sent me the sweetest card acknowledging that this was a difficult Mother's Day for me.  That was very lovely and much appreciated.  No one else mentioned Mom ... and I didn't either ... but it was in my heart. 

The day before Mother's Day, I visited with Dad and learned -- from his computer, not from him -- that he's signed up with a bunch of internet dating sites for seniors.  I was shocked and saddened -- but I know he's lonely and I can't fill that void.  While I was there, the climbing rose that I gave Mom for her last birthday was blooming and I took a blossom home.  It's called Zephirine Drouhin and it's an antique climber with the powerful fragrance of most antique roses.  I just sat and sniffed it all the way home.  I think I may order one for my house. 

I sort of wish I'd hear something from Mom.  I know that sounds freaky, but I've felt Jeff's Mom's presence several times since her death.  I'll suddenly smell her perfume or get a feeling of her presence.  It's probably just mind games, but it happens.  Not so with my own Mom.  Maybe she's so happy where she is that she doesn't feel a need to visit.  Or maybe I'm just loopy. 

I definitely need to get back on the "good things" track.  Today's good thing is being home again from Dayton.  It was kind of nice to get out of the house, but a business trip has its own stresses and challenges.  Today, I'm back in my bathrobe in the basement among my african violets with my dog -- and it's comfortable. 

No comments: