Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Tomato Love and Other Things

Jeff and I are in Florida.  We got the girls settled at college and then took off for some quality empty nester time.  However, before we left I took several pictures that I want to share. 

First, Andy seems to be all well.  He had a recheck with the vet last Thursday and the vet proclaimed him cured.  Yay!!!  He's one tough rabbit. 
Second, here's a picture of Ally moving into her dorm.  It wasn't such a big deal for her since this is the third time she's done it.  She was happy to see her friends and get settled. 

Third, I got a cool picture of a strange mushroom clump that sprouted in our front yard. It's weird looking. 

Last, tomatoes are delicious.  Our backyard is full of them and I've been making wonderful caprese salads.  Something like this can make a nice dinner for me. 

I also grew some Principe Borghese heirloom tomatoes, which I later learned are not as good for eating fresh as they are for drying.  So I've been drying them.  After 6 or so hours in the oven on low, they turn out sweet and chewy and delicious.  I suspect we'll be enjoying them all winter.  Here they are before drying:
And here they are afterward. 

They look better before drying, but they are quite tasty dried.   

1 comment:

Lilac Haven said...

Nice perspective on the mushroom. Glad Andy is better.
I love to dry tomatoes. I usually do enough to last me through the winter for using in pasta dishes and such. Kate looks like she is in her element.