Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Here We Go Again

Well, wouldn't you know it.  Yesterday's post saw the caterpillar's transformation completed and the beautiful butterfly flying into the sky.  This morning, when I went out to check on the rabbits and give Andy his regular parsley treat, I found more caterpillars on the parsley!  This time, I found them much younger because I knew what I was seeing.  The youngest caterpillars are mostly brown with a white horizontal stripe. The ones I found before had already grown out of that stage. 
So, I found three caterpillars:  two of the small ones with a white stripe and one larger yellow and black striped one.  I'm back in the caterpillar business again!  I figure it's a fair trade.  I save them from predators and they entertain me.  Everybody's happy. 
My high tech caterpillar habitat
Speaking of the circle of life, my sister-in-law Amy sent me a couple of prints of a picture she has of my great-grandfather, Daniel Frank Parker.  I need to scan the photo in and add it my collection and post it on Ancestry.com.   It's amazing how many old photos we've been able to turn up since I got interested in this project.  I wonder what kind of car/truck he's standing beside?

4 comments:

Lilac Haven said...

Are you getting the parsley from your garden outside?

Neat picture.

WoolyWorm said...

Yes. I have some planted by Andy's cage because he loves it so much. Genny, for some reason, doesn't really care for parsley that much. I also found some of the caterpillars on my fennel, but I don't have much of that -- what I have "volunteered" from a plant I had a couple of years ago. Sorry I missed you at the Wool Gathering! I was there from around 10:30 - 5:30. Great day for it!

Brandi said...

Is the lower pic a monarch larva? I can't quite tell.

WoolyWorm said...

Hi, Brandi. They're all black swallowtail caterpillars. Nice to hear from you! Glad your husband is home safe!