Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Happy Anniversary to Sam

Today is the 11th anniversary of Sam's adoption from the Kenton County Animal Shelter.  He was found beside a road with a female dog about the same age.  They were about 2 months old.  The shelter called them Mork and Mindy and, while Mindy was adopted, Mork sat in the shelter for over three weeks.  He had enormous paws and I think most people were afraid he would grow into a huge dog. 

I had been looking for a dog for months.  Our previous dog/child was a Snoodle named Widget and was with us for 16 years.  Jeff and I adopted her a year before we got married and it was heartbreaking when she died.  So, I was very particular about getting a new dog. 

Sam was exactly what I didn't want.  He was likely to grow into a big dog with a lot of shaggy hair to aggravate Jeff's allergies.  But, once I saw him, I couldn't forget him.  There was just something about him that said he was the right one. 

When Jeff and I were dating, he wanted to get me a stuffed bear.  We looked at the display and he told me to look them over and pick out "the one with the magic."  So, I picked Bernard, our first "child." 

Sam, too, was the one with the magic.  Jeff and I brought him home from the pound 11 years ago today and waited for the girls to come home from school on the bus.  Ally was 10 and Kate was 8.  We stood in the driveway with Sam on a leash and the girls couldn't believe their eyes as the bus rolled down the street.  We had a new family member. 

Andy continues to improve.  He's decided that, while he likes the special moist food and licks it off my hand, he's not too keen on the medicine and struggles when I give it to him.  He's well enough to be feisty.  He hopped around the house a bit this morning.
 

1 comment:

Lilac Haven said...

Sam and Andy are both lucky boys. We always tease that Daisy came to Club Med. I think yours did too. Nice story about how you found Sam.