Tuesday, June 18, 2013

The Ties That Bind ... And Bind

So much for my new resolution.  I already missed a day ....

Good things ... good things ... good things ....

Okay.  I've got one.  I had a pleasant call from my brother last night.  We actually communicated a bit as equals.  Most people won't understand that.  Most people think my brother is a great guy -- and he is.  He's a well-respected doctor who is very social, has a ton of friends, and is active in his church.

But to me, his big sister, he is aloof, snide, and superior.  When I was so horribly overweight, he made cruel jokes about it. Once, when my Mom's dachshund was trying to jump up into my lap, he noted dryly that she was looking for a lap where no lap could be found.  He would probably have said it was tough love and for my own good.  He tends to laugh quietly to himself whenever my sister or I make a statement of any kind, as if we're such children and one day we'll understand the world as he does.

So, when he called last night and had an actual conversation with me, it was nice.  He called to encourage me to take more control over Dad's financial affairs -- so he wasn't just calling to be friendly -- but he was pleasant and he thanked me for the work I do handling Mom's trust and taking care of Dad as much as Dad permits.  I shared my day with him and he listened and I complimented his wife.  I thanked him for spending Father's Day with Dad.  It was all very pleasant ... almost friendly.

So, it's a good thing.  

No comments: