Thursday, June 27, 2013

Great Oaks and Little Acorns

Today's good thing is this little Burr Oak seedling that I got from my Dad's yard.  He has a majestic Burr Oak in his back yard -- the trunk is seriously about 3 feet in diameter.  Mom put one of those tree "faces" on it, with eyes and a nose and mouth that you tack onto the bark.  It looks like the type of tree that ought to have a face.

Anyway, Dad has seedlings from this tree coming up all over his yard as a result of the squirrels burying the acorns.  When I was down there a couple of weeks ago, he dug one up for me and I brought it home with the acorn still attached at the bottom.  I potted it and I've been keeping it watered and it's sprouted eight new leaves.

Over the past couple of days, I've watched the tiny buds grow and then, suddenly, unfurl into leaves. It happens so fast and they grow so much, you almost feel like you could watch it happen if you could just sit still long enough.

Overall, my thumb is pretty much brown.   I do my best, but the chances of this little seedling actually growing into a magnificent oak like my Dad's are pretty slim.  Maybe that's okay though if I enjoy it to the fullest today.  Maybe its purpose will have been fulfilled.

1 comment:

Lilac Haven said...

Penny. YOu can grow it. Just make sure when you plant it you put it in a well drained area and make sure the soil is nice and broken up and don't plant it too deep. If it looks like a telephone pole sticking out of the ground it is too deep. You want that nice curve upward at the bottom. Also don't plant it outside until October and keep it watered and put a little rabbit proof fence and marker around it so a no one steps on it and b no pipsqueak of a rabbit eats it.