Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Thankfulness Catch Up

I've been remiss in posting -- everything has seemed so overwhelming around here.  The basement is still in disarray and the focus on the basement has meant less attention given to the upstairs cleaning.  Still, I know I have a lot to be thankful for. 
  • First, I'm thankful for my husband.  Two reasons in particular spring to mind. 
    1. A friend of mine was telling me about her husband's less than enthusiastic response to her getting a job ... not because he wanted her to stay home, but because the job she took didn't make much money.  First, this guy clearly doesn't understand today's job market. Second, he especially doesn't understand how difficult it is to get a job when you've been out of the job market caring for children for 20 years.  Third, she doesn't need to work at ALL to support the family -- he makes more money than God -- and she already has plenty to do around the house and supporting him in his job.  In short, I'm annoyed with his lack of supportiveness for her bold move back into the working world.  That being said, I'm thankful for my husband who acts as if my stupid little $18/hour job is the only thing keeping the wolf from our door -- which it is clearly not.  He makes me feel like I'm making an important contribution anyway. 
    2. I asked him to take the trash to the curb yesterday as he was running late and rushing out the door.  He was annoyed and I retracted my request -- but when I went out later I saw that he did it anyway.  Thank you!  
  • I'm also thankful that some of the saucer magnolias that Kathryn and I attempted to root have actually put out roots!  It's been a month now, so I checked them today.  Of the ten sprigs, four died completely, three are still green but have no visible roots, and three have visible roots! 
  • Last (for today) I'm thankful that Nancy had meditation at her house last night.  First, because my house was too disasterous for company to come over and, second, because I really needed that quiet time of contemplation. I felt a lot better afterward. 

1 comment:

Somerhill said...

Every time you mention your "stupid little job" I flinch. I make considerably less than you, and I am the one who keeps the wolf from the door. So please don't belittle yourself or your job! :^)