Friday, February 13, 2009

Is She or Isn't She?

Wednesday: Genevieve is still keeping us guessing about whether to expect little bunnies.

I put the nestbox in with her on Tuesday night. I put a paper bag on the bottom as a liner in case she tried to use it as a litterbox and filled it with hay. When I came back a few hours later, she had pulled the paper bag completely out of the box but somehow left all the hay in. Apparently, paper bags are not allowed in her nest. After that, she seemed mostly interested in eating the hay.

On Wednesday night, though, she got us all excited because she began to frantically run around gathering up huge wads of hay in her mouth and putting them in the nestbox. She's made a sort of circle in the hay now, but hasn't pulled any fur to line it. The circle goes all the down to the bare board floor of the nestbox. I'm not sure if I should add some hay or whether that would offend her. Theoretically, she's due on Saturday.

Friday: She IS! At least I'm pretty sure she is. I put her on the grooming table and gently put my hands under her and just sat there until she was calm and happy. In a little while, I began to feel little kicks. It was so much FUN! I ran and got Kate and she felt it too.

Saturday: Still no serious nest building. She's made a little circle in the hay, but hasn't pulled any wool and she's supposed to be due today. I decided to help her out and got a bag of her wool from the basement and chopped it into little pieces and put it in the nest.

Sunday: When I checked on her this morning, Genevieve was running around with a huge wad of fur in her mouth. It looks like she's going to build a nest after all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How exciting! Can't wait to hear the announcement of baby bunnies!