Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Day 4: The escape

At a whopping 4 days old, one of the little gray bunnies had an adventure.

After school, the girls and I brought the babies in for their daily counting and status check. When we got them all out of the nest, we realized that one of the gray ones was missing. In a panic, I ran back out to the garage to see if he had somehow gotten out and into the cage. But, no, he wasn't in the cage. I found him OUTSIDE the cage, next to the heater, and mercifully still alive.

He was clearly frantically hungry and rooting on anything in sight, so we got Genevieve out and tried our trick again of making her nurse him (and we gave the runt an extra meal too, even though Genevieve was less than enthusiastic). Now everyone is warm and snug and happy in the nest.

This evening I put up some boards around three sides of the cage so they can't get out again ... at least not on three sides. The front hangs off the edge of the shelf and has the door in it, so I'm not sure how to block it effectively. Genevieve didn't seem too happy about the boards as it was. I guess I'll just have to hope they don't try going out the front until I think of a solution.

I suppose they're only going to get MORE active as time goes on. When I counted them a few minutes ago, several of them jumped almost spasmodically. I wonder if that's typical for baby rabbits. Sort of a reflexive jumping?

No pictures today. They look pretty much the same as yesterday. I think they're more active though -- witness the gray one getting out of the cage! :)

1 comment:

Somerhill said...

Try fastening hardware cloth on the outside of the lower third of the cage with zip ties.
I order my cages with babysaver wire, which has much closer spacing on the lower 1/3 of the cage walls. It does help, but even so, those little guys can get insistant on squeezing out of the cage in their attempt to find the warm nest again.
Glad you found the little fellow in time! They still all look like chocolates and lilacs. :^)