Saturday, January 31, 2009

Winter Wonderland

The roads are pretty clear now and we can move around at will (except the old BMW is still encased in an ice cocoon, so we're sharing the minivan -- and that gets old). The sun came out today and made all the ice turn into silver tinsel. It looks so festive out there!


The picture to the left was taken when the snow was really coming down hard.


I've been inside trying not to go crazy with the kids (and even Jeff for one day) all hanging around the house, nagging them to pick up after themselves and clean their rooms, etc. Finally, they did put away all their clean clothes and their rooms are -- if not tidy -- at least habitable.
The house is still at 6s and 7s though because the finishing moldings for the floor still haven't arrived. Surely, they'll be here by Monday and Adam can finish the floor and we'll be able to move our furniture back in place. I don't like having everything out of order.

Last Saturday I took a class from Pat Maley at the Guild about spinning novelty yarns. One of the yarns we learned to do appealed to me, so when I got home I went through the Stash and found 4 ounces of a sky blue Romney/Mohair/Silk blend. I spun it into a chunky slub yarn and then plied it against itself, trying to match the slubs as much as possible. This is the result. I need to ask Pat how I could improve it though. I think the slubs are too loose and between the slubs the yarn is so tight that it feels like wire. There must be a way to make it better.

Still, I was able to use the yarn. I found a pattern on Ravelry and made this hat. The clever part about it is that it's made for girls (like Kate) who often wear their hair in a ponytail. The picture shows the hat from the back, the front is just plain. Sometimes it's hard to get a hat over a ponytail, but with this hat you just unbutton the buttons and put the ponytail in the hole. When you refasten the buttons, you can stay warm and still have a ponytail. I thought it was a cute pattern. Kate doesn't seem so enthusiastic. She's holding out for an angora tam made with Genevieve's fur.
So, now that the yarn and hat are done, I have no excuse to stay away from the second sock out of the dreaded Red Heart sock yarn. Starting at the top of the sock, I'm about halfway down the leg and I hope to turn the heel during the Super Bowl tomorrow.

1 comment:

Lilac Haven said...

I'll take it if Kate doesn't want it. LOL You are such a talented knitter. you never cease to amaze me. The yarn is awesome. I'll be watching the PBS Bucket Bowl (Keeping up Appearances) and maybe some of the Superbowl.