Thursday, January 22, 2009

News from the Home Front

I've returned from seeing the world and now I'm trying to snuggle into my corner of it. That's a little difficult because my whole house is in an uproar. We're FINALLY getting the flooring put down in the family room. This has been in the works for literally years.


I hate hate hate the stained, worn, melon-colored carpet in the family room, but somehow we never got around to doing anything about it. We wanted hardwood flooring because of Jeff's allergies and we even got as far as picking some out a couple of times ... but it never happened until this fall I pulled the trigger and actually ordered it. Sam, however, isn't quite sure this is a good idea.


It's gorgeous Armstrong Grand Illusions Cherry -- a dark cherry laminate floor with a high gloss that I love (even though I'm a little nervous about it showing scratches). Although it sells in the stores for about $8/square foot, I was able to get it online for about $2/square foot. The lady who runs our cleaning service has a husband, Adam, who seems to know everything about home projects, is installing it for us even as I write this. I can't WAIT! So far, he has two rows of planks laid down.

On another front: A little over a week ago, we bred Genevieve with Andy. We've got our fingers crossed that we may have some angora babies around Valentine's Day. Since they would be a cross between a satin and a french, I'm not sure what type of rabbits we would call them. Since they won't show the satin characteristics and (I think) satins were originally bred from french angoras, maybe they would be french? Let me know, if anyone knows. Maybe I'm just supposed to call them mixed breed. Anyway, we're anxiously awaiting their potential arrival.

Lynne and I finally got together yesterday for a very late Christmas lunch. I gave her a knitted nativity scene, which is pictured in an earlier post. She, however, gave me such a beautiful gift! She made me TWO needle cases! They are simply gorgeous. I tried to make one for my sister (see an earlier post) and had a miserable time with it. Lynne actually knows how to sew though! These needle cases are just perfect. One has a sheep motif and I have immediately filled it with all of my double point needles. I have a LOT and the case held them all with ease. The second one is also adorable with little bees all over it. I wonder if I could put circular needles in it somehow? I'll find some good use for it! It's got so many little pockets -- it has a lot of potential.

2 comments:

Lilac Haven said...

Did you see my post on lighting? Ten years in the house is how long it took us to get lighting in the living room. We did new carpet in the living room and Pergo in the kitchen two years ago. Love the needle holder! Satin/French cross will be called mixed breed and I believe will exhibit Satin wool characteristics in the first generation.

Anonymous said...

The new flooring looks grand! Your socks will love being on it! And congratulations on the 'babies in process'!