Thursday, July 7, 2011

Kathryn's House, Part 2: The House

Kathryn's new house received the coveted Engineer's Seal of Approval from Dad.  He was really impressed with how solidly the house was built.  I was impressed with all the woodwork!  The floors are a beautiful cherry hardwood throughout.

And Amish built cabinetry!
With pull-out shelves!

There are also beautiful granite countertops throughout.



And one of the coolest things was this display cabinet above the regular kitchen cabinets.  It lights up and displays your fine pieces in a space that ordinarily doesn't get used very efficiently.  It's sort of like a china hutch, but doesn't take up floor space.  Brilliant!

Kathryn is almost always very practical, so this is really a whimsical extravagance: a pedestal sink.  No storage, pure beauty.  I'm glad she got it.



Of course, there were many sentimental favorites.  I didn't get a picture of the massive oak table that seats 12 that came from the house I grew up in.  I did get a shot of this old stove that we used to have in our sunroom when I was growing up.  Kathryn has built a special home for it and had parts of the stove plated with nickel to add to its beauty.

These pictures used to hang over my Mom and Dad's bed in the old house.

And here's a bookcase that Dad built for Mom about 45 years ago.


I made this stained glass lamp for Kathryn a few years ago.

I'll end the tour with a couple of random shots.  One shows their living room -- they haven't picked out the permanent furniture for it yet, but the fireplace is lovely.  One shows the french doors out to the downstairs patio.  Beautiful!


Here we all are in lineup picture in front of the fireplace:

Dad, my nephew William, me, Ally and Kathryn


No comments: