Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Presents Day in Louisville

I'm still in Florida, but the weather is hardly Florida-like! It got down to 28 degrees last night! Since I have plenty of time but no pictures of Florida to post (because the camera is out of battery), I'm going to write about our Christmas.

We loaded up the car to celebrate "Presents Day" with my extended family. "Presents Day" originated through the wisdom of my mother who didn't want to fight for Christmas Day with all of our conflicting schedules and so each year we designate a day for all the family to get together and exchange presents. This year, we celebrated fairly late -- on the 23rd-- because three of our four college students weren't getting out of school until late.

Amy and Frank, my sister-in-law and brother, hosted us this year because Frank was on call and couldn't leave Louisville. Amy had the house decorated beautifully and was all set up to present a holiday feast for all of us. We brought dishes to help out, but Amy really did the lion's share of work and it was lovely.

Everyone but Kathryn's husband, John, was able to come. Here is a picture of Kathryn, my sister and her son, William.

Here, my brother Frank watches my daughter Kate opening a present. Frank is sporting a yellow bow tie that I gave him belatedly for his October birthday.

My daughter, Ally, is sitting on the couch with my husband Jeff and my Dad.

Ally was tickled when she received a canvas bag for transporting her stuff to and from college. The surprise was that it was filled with her favorite snack foods!

Here's a pretty good picture of my Mom, enjoying the day and having everyone together.





Kate, my daughter, was eager to unwrap her gifts, which turned out to be some terrific cooking implements to foster her passion for cooking. She was especially thrilled with the "pinch bowls," just like on her favorite cooking shows.





Here's a group picture showing (from left to right) my nephew John, my sister-in-law Amy, my niece Mary Beth and my sister Kathryn.


Frank and Amy's two sons newly home from their college in California helped their parents play host to this year's gathering.
And, last but not least, we see Jeff displaying his gifts -- a tie and a wallet -- while my Dad looks on approvingly.
Next up, our family Christmas at home.











































No comments: