Friday, June 29, 2012

New Stuff

After taking a photography mini-class at the Friendship Spinners retreat, I decided to buy a tiny Canon Elph to supplement my big Canon Rebel.  Anne Littlebird, who taught the class, said that some of these little cameras are very good and have the added advantage that you're likely to actually carry them with you.  She also noted that you don't need all the bells and whistles of the latest model or a huge pixel size to get good photos.  So, I looked around a little and picked up a used Canon Powershot SD780 IS (12 MP and 3X optical zoom) on eBay for $38 ($28 + $10 shipping).

What a deal!  This little red cutie is a little beat up, granted, but I'm loving the pictures it takes.  Moreover, I love macro and this camera has a digital macro setting that goes practically microscopic.  I think I'll really enjoy having it on our upcoming trips and not lugging the big Rebel all over the place.

Another recent and cheap pleasure has been the discovery of Spotify.  I loved Pandora because I could make my own radio station and teach it -- through my selections -- to play the types of music I prefer.  Spotify is even better.  With Spotify, you actually get to select your songs and create personal playlists.  I can't believe it's free!  It's amazing!  So far, I've got a playlist for my  "girl power" favorites from Katy Perry and Pink, a playlist of old torch songs from the 30s and 40s, and a playlist of Celtic music.

Last, but not least, I finally got my new drivers license -- about six weeks late.  Oops.  It had, by definition, been four years since my last driver's license photo and the lady at the DMV pointed out the difference in the photos and cut out the old one for me to keep.  Cool, huh?  

No comments: