Sunday, April 6, 2008

Happy Birthday to Me!

Saturday was my birthday and it's been a good weekend. I drove down to Lexington on Friday and spent the day with Mom and Dad. I got to be an only child all day and got presents and even a birthday cake. Mom and I went to Talbots and I used their birthday gift, a certificate to Talbots, to buy some gorgeous burgundy silk slacks and a white blouse.

On Saturday, I slept late and generally just did whatever I wanted to. Kate and I went to brunch and then got the ingredients for the cake she made me. She had me pick out the recipe, so I picked this: Blackberry-Raspberry Truffle Cake. It took her all day to make, but it was fabulous ... and HUGE. Jeff took us all to the Metropolitan club for a lovely dinner. When we got home, Kate continued working on the cake. As it was nearing midnight, she decided to leave off the pecans (no one was really that keen on them anyway), but it was gorgeous.

Kate thought she was being funny ... ha ... ha ... and in lieu of the correct number of candles, she just arranged the candles in an infinity symbol. Anyway, I got a lot of great presents and generally felt very fussed over. Birthdays just don't come often enough.

It seems like some years everyone completely forgets about my birthday and I get my feelings all hurt. Then some years, like this year, everyone remembers and I have a wonderful time. It was really sort of funny. Mom and Dad got me a cake. And Jeff also got a back-up cake, just in case Kate's didn't work out. So we've got cake coming out of our ears! You'll notice, however, that we're having no trouble scarfing it down.

Today after church I tried my hand at making paper. I had made the pulp last week, but only got around to trying to make the paper today. Everything worked just like it was supposed to, but I was disappointed in the results. The paper I ended up with seemed just like a piece of colored paper toweling. It had the feel of those molded cardboard cup holders you get with fast food. I was hoping to write my birthday thank you notes on it, but I'm not sure I want to. I may have to learn more about papermaking and find out what I'm doing wrong.
ca

1 comment:

Gin said...

::perks up:: Paper? Let me suggest you join the Yahoo papermaking group. Lots of good folks there, lots of helpful information, especially about how not to make cardboard. :) Here's the link to the signup page:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/5wgppp