Saturday, July 20, 2013

Everything Old is New Again

Today's good thing is the satisfying feeling of getting exactly what you want at a bargain price.

We've tried to make a manly space in our house for Jeff in what we formerly called the computer room.  Nowadays, everyone takes their computer from room to room with them and we don't really need a dedicated computer room.  I cleaned it all up and repainted and decluttered and declared the space to be Jeff's.  Since it adjoins the living room, though, it needs to look somewhat presentable. I replaced his old huge broken-drawered office desk that we bought second hand when the firm was selling off old desks with a smart-looking cherry desk with multiple functioning drawers and a glass top for durability.  Well, he hated it.  He doesn't care about drawers, functioning or non-functioning, but he does care about having a large flat surface area and the new desk didn't have it.

So, I started looking for a large table/desk for him.  After poking around for a couple of months, I came across this gorgeous solid cherry Bob Timberlake desk from Lexington Furniture at an online estate sale.  The top surface was discolored in a couple of places (I should have taken "before" photos), but I knew that Jeff would want it to be refinished with polyurethane anyway so he wouldn't have to worry about setting glasses and dishes on it.  So, I picked up this beauty for $60.  Yay!

I stripped the finish off of the top and re-stained it.  Now all it needs is a couple of coats of polyurethane.  It looks great and fits in perfectly with our Queen Anne cherry living room ... AND gives Jeff the large surface area he wants.

I have the satisfaction of reclaiming a gorgeous piece of furniture that fits perfectly with our decor and fulfills Jeff's needs for a mere $60.  I feel smart!

1 comment:

Lilac Haven said...

Wow. You did good! Great deal and fabulous looking piece.