Wednesday, November 4, 2009

On My Own in Florida


Today is my third full day of complete solitude in Florida. I came down on Sunday and drove to Vero Beach and I have accomplished very little since. I'm supposed to be looking for a cheap used car so we don't have to pay the ridiculous rental car rates, but I've struck out so far. My only real prospect was sold yesterday to someone else while I waffled about whether a 2 hour drive to Orlando to look at another car was worthwhile. I decided it wasn't and then the first car was gone. I've spent a great deal of my so-called vacation time on this car business and now Jeff tells me just to wait until he gets here on Friday.

So, what should I do with myself? When I wasn't looking for cars, I've been knitting a pair of socks and reading a novel. I've been able to relax a good bit, but I've hardly been out of the room. I'm not the type who's afraid to eat out or see a movie alone -- but it's certainly less fun alone. I'm not too keen on swimming and with my melanoma history I shouldn't do any sunbathing and it doesn't seem like too much fun to sit alone by the pool even with a book. I have a fantastic view of the ocean from my hotel room, so I've been reading on the balconey.


This morning I woke up at 5 a.m. (probably partly due to the time change) and when the sun started to come up I took a picture of it coming up over the waves. There were really too many clouds in the way, but I'm a lazy bug and I rarely see sunrises of any type. So, I enjoyed this one.


I know that being alone with nothing to do is a precious gift and I should treasure it and use it wisely and well, but I can't think of anything I really want to do. Any suggestions? What would you do all by yourself in a tropical paradise? Let me know. Jeff'll be here on Friday, so I really just have today and tomorrow left.

1 comment:

Lilac Haven said...

Get a big boat drink. Have your hair and nails done and get a massage and then take a side trip to Disney! Fine some place that sells decadent chocolates and get a expensive bottle of wine. You get the picture. Oh Vero beach is good for shark tooth picking. Look in the sand right where the waves break on the shoreline. Your pictures look good. Knitting and reading sounds nice too.